Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Having A Disability Is The Best Filter

The title of this blog is quite true.  How?  Well, if you think about it, many people find it intimidating to talk to people with disabilities.  Why you ask?  They are afraid to offend or say something that could be hurtful.  Some are even scared to ask what our disability is.  I have had the luck of meeting and befriending many people from all over the place, disabled and non-disabled alike, and have friends that I have known for years who have never asked me once about my disability.  That is not to say that it is a bad thing.  It is not to say that they do not know what my condition is.  Some of them ask my other friends or look it up themselves.  Whenever one of my friends asks me about my disability, I know that it is a sign that they are comfortable with me and who I am.  Now I am not saying that those people who do not ask are people that I do not consider to be good friends - I think that one's disability can show who is comfortable and accepting of who you are.  In a way, it is a filter of who is genuinely comfortable with your disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment