Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Wheelchair Backflip: Explained

I happen to catch myself watching the clip of Aaron Fotheringham's backflip every once in awhile and, every single time, I keep asking myself how he managed to do it. Apparently, I am not the only one to ask. Howstuffworks.com asked Aaron the same question and he was more than happy to explain.

He started out by practicing using foam cushions to land on. After several (more like 50-60) attempts with cushions, Aaron then tried it on rezi, a hard plastic surface with a cushioned backing. After getting comfortable performing the trick on rezi, the only thing left to do was to try it on concrete. And the rest is history. The key to the backflip is to buildup and maintain the right speed to do it without causing you to over-rotate.

What is the next trick up Aaron's sleeve? Can we say 1080 spin? Double backflip?

Check out the site for the full article.

No comments:

Post a Comment