Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ignorance Is Bliss

For as long as I can remember, I've always wondered why people find it so amazing that I live a fairly productive life not unlike themselves. Do I have a job? Yup. Do I worry about bills and taxes like everybody else? Yup. Do I hate them just as much? Absolutely! I always found it funny when people (disabled and normal) say that I'm an inspiration to them just for doing what I do. Now, I'm not trying to say that I'm offended by that...but it makes me wonder what they expected disabled people like myself to be doing with their time. Some of them ask why don't I just live of disability forever...and my answer was that I think it's a stupid thing to do. Why should society pay for me to live my life? Honestly, disability doesn't pay a whole lot and the fact that it's being funded by every tax-paying citizen in the US doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather earn my living and make use of my education...and be less of a burden to society. I feel more fulfilled when I earn my living as opposed to having it simply handed to me. It's also surprising when I talk with some of the parents of disabled children with my condition. Little did I know, I'm one of the oldest known cases (most are around 5-10 years old) of my condition in the country...and the only one known to drive actively and to work full-time. It's nice to hear that they use me as an example for their kids, but I worry that they may see me as a standard...more precisely, as a limit that their kid may never exceed. That doesn't seem right to me. I grew up with little or no idea of anybody else like myself. I had no role model to look up to and no standard as to what I could or could not achieve. Sometimes in cases like this, ignorance is bliss. Not having someone there for comparison can make one set their mind to achieve their own goals and follow their dreams and desires. People should set their own goals and achievements...and hopefully surpass them by a mile. I'm productive because I choose to do so and I choose to pursue my dreams and desires despite how lofty they may be. Whether I surpass them or not, time will only tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment